By Andy Sambidge
Former associates take over posh restaurant with plans to relaunch on Nov 9
Gordon Ramsay's former associates in Dubai will take over the restaurant after the celebrity chef ended his partnership with Verre.
Executive chef Scott Price and head chef Nick Alvis have announced that they will take over the restaurant at Hilton Dubai Creek and relaunch it as Table9 on November 9.
Ramsay, who shot to fame following television series such as ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ and Hell’s Kitchen’, had been in partnership with Verre for a decade.
The last service at Verre will be on October 28, Hotelier Middle East reported on Wednesday.
It said the new restaurant will have a more relaxed environment and instead of having a traditional menu consisting of three-courses, it will offer a wide range of “accessible food”.
Price told the website: “We’re going to cater for people who want to come in and have a glass of wine with their friends after work and have one or two dishes, as well as for those who want to come in for an anniversary dinner with their wife or your husband and have a big six or seven course taster menu.”
He added: “We’ve got the pressure on as we’re taking over the restaurant, and it’s not just any restaurant. But the bar has always been very high while we’ve been working for Gordon, and that’s not going to change just because the restaurant is changing. It’s not going to change how we work or our standards.”
A new restaurant manager has been appointed but the rest of the staff will remain the same.
“We’ve had so much support from Hilton with the redesign of the restaurant,” said Price. “They’ve been very, very good to us. We’ve worked with their branding and marketing team on things we didn’t know much about – like picking uniforms and choosing shoes.”
A spokesperson for Gordon Ramsay Holdings said: “After a regular review of our commercial operations we have decided the time is right to end our consultancy agreement.
"We would like to thank the team at Verre for the 10-year partnership, it’s a superb restaurant and we wish them all the best for the future.”
Ramsay has suffered a bout of professional woes in recent years. His company recently closed two restaurants in Australia and he faces a $1.74m court battle in New Zealand after pulling out of a number of charity engagements, citing personal reasons.
Ramsay’s company had its fingers burned after its rapid international expansion was impacted by the global financial crisis.For all the latest gourmet news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
I have meet both of them chef Scott Price and head chef Nick Alvis during our juke mission. It was really nice. They are amazing chef and i am sure they will do a good job.
Why the denigrating shot in the last couple of paragraphs? completely unjustified and rather cheap.
I ate at the restuarant last week for the first having lived in Dubai for 17 years, and found it overpriced for an average meal.
Hopefully the launch of table 9 will change everything. Good luck