By Staff writer
UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention says man, who had travelled from Wuhan, is stable and under medical care
A fifth person in the UAE has been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention announced the new case on Saturday and added that the person was stable and under medical care.
According to a report from the state news agency (WAM), the man arrived from the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the outbreak first surfaced.
The Ministry revealed that the four cases detected last week, involving a Chinese family, were still under medical care and their condition is stable.
The report said: “The Ministry is taking all necessary precautions in coordination with other relevant health authorities in the country in order to ensure the safety of the citizens and residents.”
The Ministry added that there was currently no cause for concern and urged members of the public to rely on official sources for information only.
The Philippines reported the first death on Sunday outside of China from the new coronavirus, deepening global fears about an epidemic that has claimed more than 300 lives.
The first foreign fatality came as an escalating number of governments around the world closed their borders to people from China in a bid to stop it spreading.
It also came as China entered a perilous new phase, with people resuming travel at the end of a Lunar New Year holiday that had been extended to contain the disease.
Since emerging from the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, the mysterious coronavirus has infected 14,000 people across China and spread to 24 countries.
The World Health Organization late last week declared the situation a global health emergency, and nations have taken extraordinary measures to build virtual fortresses against the disease.