By Staff writer
UAE National Emergency Crisis and Disasters Management official reportedly says it is too early to ban public gatherings in the country
The UAE is reportedly prepared for “worst case scenarios” as the new coronavirus spreads in the Middle East with cases in Kuwait soaring on Wednesday.
Reuters quoted an unnamed official from the UAE National Emergency Crisis and Disasters Management Authority as saying that the country has enough facilities to quarantine patients and will be carrying out surveillance on people entering the country.
He added in comments published by Reuters that it was too early to ban public gatherings in the UAE.
Dubai is due to host Expo 2020 in October for six months.
The UAE has so reported 13 cases of the new coronavirus, three of whom have recovered.
“We are quite satisfied that we have taken all the necessary steps needed to preempt the spread of the virus at all levels, without pushing the country into a state of unwarranted panic,” the UAE official said.
The disease, which originated in China late last year, has infected about 80,000 people and killed more than 2,700, the vast majority in China.health tips & news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.