By Gavin Gibbon
Claims had been made that the deadly virus had been discovered in a residential compound in the emirate
The Department of Health - Abu Dhabi has dismissed claims that the coronavirus has been discovered in a residential compound in the capital.
"The Ministry of Health and Prevention is the official source of information on COVID-19 in the UAE," DoH – Abu Dhabi said in a statement.
There have been 21 cases of coronavirus confirmed in the UAE, five of whom have made a full recovery, while two people remain in a serious condition, according to the tracking website worldometers.
The DoH urged the public to rely only on official sources when dealing with all news related to the novel virus.
"The public are urged to follow the reports issued regularly by competent bodies who are doing their work with all transparency and sparing no effort to curb the spread of the virus outbreak.
"The health sector in Abu Dhabi, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Prevention, is following strict precautionary measures in line with best international standards approved by the World Health Organisation in combatting pandemics and diseases, including COVID-19," added the statement.
Also on Saturday, false claims were made over social media from an account purporting to be from Dubai’s Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) informing that all schools were closed as a result of the outbreak.
A follow-up tweet from the KHDA said: “Fake news! All official announcements will be made on our Twitter, Instagram and Facebook channels. We advice everyone to avoid sharing messages and screenshots without first verifying them.”
Fake news! All official announcements will be made on our Twitter, Instagram and Facebook channels. We advice everyone to avoid sharing messages and screenshots without first verifying them — KHDA (@KHDA) February 29, 2020