We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Mon 2 Mar 2020 09:02 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

No confirmed cases of coronavirus in Saudi Arabia, says health ministry

A total of 2,200 beds have been set aside for quarantine cases in the kingdom

No confirmed cases of coronavirus in Saudi Arabia, says health ministry
Muslim pilgrims wear masks at the Grand Mosque in Saudi Arabia's holy city of Makkah. Image: AFP

Saudi Arabia has yet to record any new confirmed incidents of the novel coronavirus in the kingdom, according to Saudi Heath ministry spokesman Mohammed Abdelali.

At a news conference on Sunday, Abdelali said that a total of 2,200 hospital beds have been allotted to potential quarantine cases.

According to a report in the state-run Saudi Press Agency (SPA), 25 hospitals have been prepared to deal with coronavirus cases as part of wider precautionary measures that have included closing its borders to foreign Umrah pilgrims.

Additionally, Abdelali said that Saudi Arabia’s trade has not been impacted as “is going as usual”.

Internationally, it has been reported that several Saudi nationals have been confirmed to have coronavirus.

On Sunday, for example, Bahrain’s Gulf Daily News reported that a Saudi national with coronavirus was discovered at Bahrain International Airport after traveling to Bahrain from Iran via a third country.

On February 24, Kuwaiti state news agency Kuna reported that a Saudi national in the country was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus after traveling from the Iranian city of Mashhad.

Globally, there have so far been over 89,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus, with over 3,000 deaths.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

For all the latest health tips & news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.