By Sam Bridge
Five of the new cases involve Egyptian nationals while three others are Kuwaitis who have returned from Iran
Kuwait announced on Thursday eight new people tested positive with the coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of persons infected with the virus to 75.
According to the Kuwait News Agency, KUNA, Ministry of Health spokesman Dr. Abdullah Al-Sanad said five of the new cases were Egyptian nationals and they tested positive after they came in close contact with a person who came from Azerbaijan.
He added in a daily press briefing the three others were Kuwaiti citizens who travelled back from Iran.
Al-Sanad said four patients were still in the intensive care unity, one critical and conditions of the three others were stable. He added that five persons had already fully recovered.
He said the Ministry of Health has so far taken a total of 6,841 samples from people for testing.
Kuwait on Wednesday said it will halt all commercial flights to and from the country starting Friday and until further notice, with the exception of cargo flights.
Authorities also announced a public holiday in the country from March 12-26, with work resuming on March 29, KUNA said, adding that companies providing vital services would remain open.
The country would also "forbid" its residents meeting in "restaurants, cafes and commercial centres", KUNA said.