We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Mon 16 Mar 2020 07:51 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

UAE reports 12 new cases of coronavirus, as Middle East number climbs above 15,000

Saudi Arabia announced 15 new cases, bringing the total in the kingdom to 118

UAE reports 12 new cases of coronavirus, as Middle East number climbs above 15,000

Eight new cases were discovered in Kuwait on Sunday, bringing the total number to 112.


The UAE announced 12 new cases of coronavirus on Sunday as the number of people diagnosed with the virus throughout the Middle East passed through the 15,000 mark.

The cases came to light after the individuals were tested upon arrival to the country. It is reported that they had come into contact with people who had tested positive for the virus and are now in quarantine.

It takes the number of cases in the UAE up to 98.

The 12 individuals diagnosed include a South African, an Australian, a Chinese, a Filipino, a Lebanese, a British, an Italian, an Iranian, an Emirati and three Indians.

The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that three more people had recovered from Covid-19, taking the total number of recovery cases in the country to 26.

New Saudi cases

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia announced 15 new cases, bringing the total in the kingdom to 118.

This includes two residents from Indonesia and the Philippines who were in contact with a previous reported case of infection and who are now quarantined in a health facility in Riyadh; a Spanish resident who had travelled from their native Spain and is quarantined in Khobar; five cases of citizens who had been in contact with previous cases who are in isolation in Qatif, along with a male and female who had travelled from Iran and Iraq respectively.

Two cases involve females from Spain and the UK who are in quarantine in a health facility in Dhahran; a man from Egypt is in quarantine in Dammam and two men, from the UK and Switzerland are isolated in a facility in Jeddah.

Eight more in Kuwait

Eight new cases were discovered in Kuwait on Sunday, bringing the total number of infections to 112.

Health Ministry spokesman Dr. Abdullah Al-Sanad revealed that six of the newly announced cases were of Kuwaiti citizens returning from the UK and individuals who had come in contact with those infected. One case was of a Kuwaiti recently returning from France via the UAE and the other was of a fellow citizen returning from Iran.

Meanwhile, a group of 240 people have ended a compulsory quarantine in Khiran Resort and left the facility, said the Ministry of Health.

In a statement posted on the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA), the ministry said 564 people have so far been discharged after completing their mandatory quarantine period.

“Those people who left quarantine completed necessary quarantine period and necessary medical procedures, proving they were clear of the coronavirus”, said the ministry.

Further cases were recorded in Lebanon (six), Bahrain (two) and Oman (two).

The total number of confirmed cases in the Middle East on Monday morning stood at 15,024. This includes: Iran (13,938), Qatar (401), Bahrain (214), Iraq (124), Saudi Arabia (118), Lebanon (99), UAE (98), Oman (22) and Jordan (10).

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

For all the latest health tips & news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.