By Staff writer
Kuwait has begun a five-part plan to return to normal life
Kuwaiti authorities have detected 1,008 new cases of Covid-19 in the country as it begins its plans to reopen the economy and return to normal life, authorities said on Saturday.
According to the state-run Kuwait News Agency (Kuna), the new cases include 287 Kuwaiti nationals, 229 Indians, 133 Bangladeshis and 171 Egyptians.
The remaining cases come from a number of other nationalities.
Currently, there are 206 patients receiving medical care in intensive care units of Kuwaiti hospitals.
Additionally, 52 patients have been discharged in the last 24 hours, according to Kuna.
Last week, Kuwait revealed a five-phase plan to return to normal life in the country, which has been brought to a standstill by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Kuwaiti Health Minister Dr. Sheikh Bassel Al-Sabah, the plan will last for three weeks, beginning on Sunday. Any movement forward is subject to assessment by health authorities.
‘If indicators are positive we move to the next phase. If no indicators are safe in any phase, we will remain in the current phase for a longer time or go back to the previous phase,” he said.
In the first phase – which begins today – includes partial curfew couples with a lockdown on a number of areas where cases have surged.
Activities allowed in the first phase include home deliveries of restaurants, telecommunications companies, food retailers, companies’ transportation of employees, gas stations, private clinics and car workshops.