ISIL behind Riyadh police deaths, say Saudi authorities

Interior Ministry says Saudi Arabian man arrested was acting on instructions from ISIL in Syria
ISIL behind Riyadh police deaths, say Saudi authorities
(Image for illustrative purpose only)
By Reuters
Fri 24 Apr 2015 05:12 PM

The Saudi Arabian man arrested on suspicion of shooting dead two policemen and injuring two others in separate attacks in Riyadh was acting on instructions from the ISIL group in Syria, the Interior Ministry said on Friday.

Mohammed Abdulrahman Abu Niyan, 23, has confessed to carrying out the shootings in March and April on behalf of ISIL, after meeting a representative of the group in the Saudi capital, the ministry said in a statement carried by state media.

ISIL last year called on followers in the kingdom to carry out attacks against the authorities, Western expatriates and members of the Shi'ite Muslim minority there instead of travelling to Syria or Iraq to join the group.

Abu Niyan recorded footage of the shooting on a mobile phone, the ministry said in its statement, and was preparing car bombs for use in future attacks. He received cash and instructions from ISIL, the statement said.

The ministry said it had offered a bounty of 1 million riyals ($266,666) for the capture of Nawaf bin Sharif Samir al-Onaizi, who it said had been Abu Niyan's accomplice and who had adopted a Moroccan accent and name to disguise his identity.

Abu Niyan was detained a week ago attempting to cross into Yemen, where an ISIL group on Thursday released a video in which it demonstrated military training techniques. 

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.