We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Thu 5 Mar 2015 03:28 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Jihadi John's father denies his son is ISIL executioner

Father of Kuwaiti-born Mohammed Emwazi says he has engaged lawyers to sue those who claim his son is ISIL suspect

Jihadi John's father denies his son is ISIL executioner

The father of a Kuwaiti-born British national dubbed "Jihadi John" has reportedly claimed there is no evidence his son was the ISIL executioner shown in numerous videos.

Mohammed Emwazi’s family are under police watch in a secret location in Kuwait, Arabic daily Al Qabas said.

The paper said it spoke to his father Jassem Emwazi, who accused the media of spreading “false rumours” about his son, who authorities says entered Syria in 2013. 

"There is nothing that proves what is being circulated in the media, especially through video clips and footage, that the accused is my son Mohammed, who is being referred to as the alleged executioner of Daesh [ISIL]," Jassem Emwazi was quoted as saying.

"I have a message to the Kuwaiti people that many of the rumours are false.

"Because I felt that some people have believed it, I have assigned a lawyer to defend me and to prove ... that what is being said is untrue."

Jassem Emwazi reportedly told media earlier that he and his wife recognised their son’s voice on video clips showing him beheading at least five Westerners in the Syrian desert.

He has reportedly engaged two lawyers, one each in Kuwait and the UK, to file lawsuits against those who made accusation against Jassem Emwazi and his family.

His lawyer in Kuwait, Salem Al Hashash, told Al Qabas his client was interrogated by the interior ministry for three hours.

Mohammed Emwazi was born in Kuwait and moved to the UK in 1993 because his stateless family, of Iraqi origin, were unable to obtain Kuwaiti citizenship, AFP reported.

He visited Kuwait several times, the last time between Jan 18 and April 26, 2010, according to Al Qabas said.

A year later, he was denied entry to Kuwait after his name came up during investigations into attacks in Britain.

Mohammed Emwazi’s former boss at a Kuwaiti IT company told The Guardian earlier this week he was once a star salesman. He was quiet and rather withdrawn but had a natural gift for his work.

“He was the best employee we ever had,” the former boss said of the then 21-year-old. “He was very good with people. Calm and decent. He came to our door and gave us his CV.”

The former boss reportedly said after a stellar probation period, Emwazi disappeared completely in April 2010 after a trip to London.

“How could someone as calm and quiet as him become like the man who we saw on the news? It’s just not logical that he could be this guy,” he was quoted as saying.

However, in contrast, his friends have reportedly told The Daily Mail he dressed like a gangster rapper, smoked cannabis and had an obsessive crush on a girl at school.

They also claimed he was in a violent gang that used Tasers to target rich victims.

He also smoked drugs, drank and was violent towards other boys, a friend reportedly told The Sunday Mirror.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall