King Salman to make findings of Makkah crane collapse probe public

11 Pakistanis, 11 Indians, two Britons and 84 others were killed in the accident which also left more than 200 injured
King Salman to make findings of Makkah crane collapse probe public
(AFP/Getty Images)
By Sarah Townsend
Mon 14 Sep 2015 01:47 PM

King Salman has promised to publish the findings of the government's investigation into the cause of the crane collapse in Makkah that killed 108 people and injured a further 200 on Friday.

The Saudi king, who visited the site at the weekend, also said the government will bring those responsible to justice.

“We will continue to do everything we can to serve the guests of the holy mosques,” King Salman said on his official Twitter account. “And we won’t hesitate to hold any delinquent accountable,” he added.

Foreign embassies, meanwhile, have released information on the death toll from Saudi Arabia’s fatal crane crash on Friday.

According to reports, 11 Pakistanis, 11 Indians, two Britons and 84 others lost their lives when a crane collapsed onto one of Islam’s holiest shrines in Makkah last week.

A further 200 were injured.

Stormy winds were named as the cause of the accident, and King Salman is expected to receive a report on the investigation into the crash on Friday, according to the Saudi Press Agency.

Expressing his condolences to families of the dead, King Salman said: “We will investigate all the reasons and afterwards declare the results to the citizens.”

Arab News reported on Monday that the Pakistani Consulate had confirmed the deaths of 11 of its nationals in the crash.

“We have been able to identify 11 bodies at the morgue in Mina,” Syed Abu Ahmad Akif, Makkah-based director-general of Haj in Pakistan, told the newspaper.

The Indian Haj mission, led by Consul General BS Mubarak, released a list of nine deaths in addition to two women reported dead on Saturday, taking the total number of Indian casualties to 11.

“We were given access to the morgue in Mina on Sunday,” Mubarak was quoted as saying. “We took the relatives of the missing pilgrims to the morgue and that is how we could identify nine of our victims.”

Two British pilgrims were also among the dead. Rashid Mogradia, CEO of the Council of British Hajjis (CBHUK), was quoted as saying: “We have confirmation of two British nationals who died as a result of the crane crash.

“Our immediate thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased and with all those who have been affected by this tragic accident.

“The CBHUK commends the efforts by the Saudi authorities and the British Consulate in Saudi Arabia who have been working hard to support those affected.”

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.