Al-Watan, Al-Watan Plus and Al-Watan Ghanawi taken off air as licence of Kuwait Media Group is cancelled
Kuwait's Ministry of Information has canceled the licences of three television channels operated by a media group which also owns a newspaper known for speaking out against the government, state news agency KUNA said.
The decision to take the Al-Watan, Al-Watan Plus and Al-Watan Ghanawi channels off the air was a result of an earlier trade ministry's decision to cancel the business licence of operator Kuwait Media Group, the agency said late on Thursday.
The group, which also published al-Watan newspaper - known for being critical of the government - had its licence cancelled by Kuwait's trade minister in January on the grounds that it had violated corporate regulations.
Al-Watan was one of two newspapers suspended by a judge for two weeks last year after IT reported on an audio recording that discussed an alleged plot to overthrow the Gulf state's rulers.
Kuwait, a major oil producer and US ally, has imposed a news blackout on an investigation into the tape, saying that media coverage about it was damaging to the country.
Kuwait has about a dozen daily newspapers, which often include criticism of government ministers, including some ruling family members. However, issues related to the ruling system itself - a hereditary dynasty - are especially sensitive.