We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Sun 13 Sep 2009 11:20 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Kuwait confirms sixth swine flu fatality

Woman aged 50 had been suffering in addition to cardiac enlargement, according to officials.

Kuwait’s Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed a sixth swine flu related fatality.

Health ministry spokesman Dr. Qais Al-Dowairi told KUNA a 50 year-old woman suffering kidney failure, in addition to cardiac enlargement, had passed away 24 hours after having been admitted to hospital.The patient had been in isolation and her death was due to complications because of her poor health, he added.

The total number of swine flu cases reported in Kuwait since April has now reached 2,157.

Meanwhile, the decision by states on whether or not to shut down schools, as a result of the spread of the H1N1 virus, can be taken according to each country's conditions and circumstances as stated by the World Health Organization, Kuwait Health Minister Dr. Hilal Al-Sayer said on Sunday.

Dr. Al-Sayer told a news conference - also attended by Minister of Education and Higher Education Dr. Moudhi Al-Humoud - that the WHO has advised states to close schools if one percent of the population is infected with the disease.

"Kuwait has not reached that phase of the disease spread," Dr. Al-Sayer said.

He added that the ministry would provide constant updates to the media to keep the public informed of the latest developments regarding the virus.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

For all the latest health tips & news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Real news, real analysis and real insight have real value – especially at a time like this. Unlimited access ArabianBusiness.com can be unlocked for as little as $4.75 per month. Click here for more details.