We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 2 Mar 2016 02:02 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Kuwait said to deport 1,053 'illegals' in Tuesday raid

Officials detain 4,000 people but the majority are released following checks

Kuwait said to deport 1,053 'illegals' in Tuesday raid
(AFP/Getty Images)

Kuwait is deporting 1,053 foreigners living illegally in the country, following a series of raids in which 4,000 people were detained.

According to reports, the Ministry of Interior has issued a statement revealing that 4,015 people were detained after officials conducted raids in Jleeb Al Shuyoukh on Tuesday.

Around 3,000 people were released after having their papers inspected, but the remaining 1,053 were sent for deportation.

They were found to be overstaying their legal residency in Kuwait or to have committed crimes in the country.

The ministry statement said police secured targeted areas to ensure nobody could escape before demanding to see people’s documents, according to Gulf News.

“The raid was part of security campaigns launched regularly by the ministry to arrest lawbreakers, convicts and wanted people,” the ministry said.

“We checked the documents of those detained and allowed 2,378 people to go. However, 1,170 were referred to the competent authorities for deportation. The list includes seven who were wanted in relation with felonies.”

Jleeb Al Shuyukh is a neighbourhood inhabited mainly by workers from South Asia and other Arab countries.

Kuwait has been implementing a crackdown on illegal residents– last month it was said to have deported 1,170 foreigners who had been living in the Khaytan area.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall