The Kuwaiti government has distanced itself from reports it would implement a midnight curfew on restaurants, shops and other entertainment businesses.
The Interior Ministry, which was reported to have said the measure was necessary to ‘maintain security’, on Sunday denied it had approved the idea, saying it was still under consideration, Kuwait Times said.
Kuwait Municipal Director Ahmed Al Subaih was quoted on Sunday as saying the curfew would kick in at midnight on weekdays and 1am on Thursday and Friday nights (Friday and Saturday mornings) in all areas except industrial zones, where everything had to close by 10pm.
The move would help improve security in the country amid an increase in crimes such as drug abuse, vehicle theft and shootings, he was quoted as saying.
But on Sunday, municipality officials said they are studying the issue but no final decision had been made.
"During our meeting with Assistant Undersecretary for Public Security at the Ministry of Interior Maj Gen Abdulfatah Al Ali last week, we discussed the issue of closing all commercial activities in residential, commercial, investment and industrial areas. But no decision has been taken yet. The entire issue is still under study," Al Subaih was quoted as saying in his clarification.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.