By Abdul Rawuf
Seven Saudis also killed in the gun attack that claimed 39 lives
A Kuwaiti citizen was among the 39 people who were killed during a gun attack on an Istanbul nightclub on Saturday night.
A random gunman opened fire at the exclusive Reina nightclub on the shores of Istanbul's Bosphorus waterway just over an hour into the new year.
Witnesses described diving under tables as the assailant walked around spraying bullets from an automatic rifle, as some people jumped into the Bosphorus waters to save themselves.
Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Suleiman al-Jarallah said five other Kuwaitis were also injured, four of whom are still receiving hospital treatment.
In a change from previously reported figures, seven citizens from Saudi Arabia were killed during the attack, according to the Turkish Justice Ministry, who revealed the nationalities of all but one of the 39 killed in the attack.
Three were from Lebanon, while another three were from Iraq.
Reina is one of Istanbul's best known nightspots, popular with local high society and foreigners. Some 600 people were thought to be inside when the gunman shot dead a policeman and civilian at the door, forced his way in and then opened fire.
Reina's owner, Mehmet Kocarslan, said security measures had been taken over the past 10 days after U.S. intelligence reports suggested a possible attack.
A massive security operation has since unfolded to track down the fugitive assailant or assailants and any conspirators.