By Staff writer
Saudi billionaire's new 24-hour news channel was due to begin transmission before the end of 2014
The launch of Alarab, a 24-hour news channel which will target Arabic-speaking viewers across the Arab world and beyond, has been delayed until February 2015, it was announced on Monday.
Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud, chairman of Kingdom Holding Company and owner of Alarab News Channel, announced the launch date for transmission will be February 1.
Previously, it had been reported that the Bahrain-based news channel would begin operations before the end of 2014.
Prince Alwaleed also announced the appointment of Fahad Al Sukait as the chairman of the board and CEO of Arab TV News Company.
The news channel, which was first announced by Prince Alwaleed in 2011 and is an independent venture from Kingdom Holding Company and Rotana Group, will join the ranks of Al Jazeera, Al Arabiya and Sky News Arabia.
Khashoggi previously told Arabian Business the channel will recruit 300 people and will include Bloomberg-branded business reports as part of its daily coverage with news from the MENA markets as well as a weekly roundup of global financial news.
In October, Qvest Media said it had completed its delivery and implementation of all production, broadcast and distribution facilities for Alarab.
Qvest Media managed all aspects of the project including design, planning and technical integration, the company said in a statement.