We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 1 Jul 2009 11:03 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Man City's Hughes still keen on Eto’o

Manager of Abu Dhabi-owned Premiership club plays waiting game as transfer saga rumbles on.

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes still wants to sign Samuel Eto'o, despite Barcelona offering the £25 million-rated Cameroon striker a new contract.Barcelona had initially told the 28-year-old he did not figure in their plans for next season.

Hughes said: "There appears to be a situation between the player and his club that we cannot be part of.

"We have to sit back and see what develops. Patience is a word that has been mentioned - we may need some," he was quoted by the BBC on Wednesday.

"The player wants to stay and complete the last year of his contract - if Barca don't want him they should say so, so we can pursue the player's future in a professional manner," he said.

"The club said coach Pep Guardiola did not want him. Guardiola has not told the player he is not required," Hughes added.

Eto'o cost Barcelona £16 million when he signed from Mallorca in 2004 and has since scored more than 100 goals in his five seasons with the club.

Reports out of Barcelona earlier this week claimed he was demanding almost half of any mooted £25 million transfer fee to City in addition to wages of about £200,000 a week.

Given the player is in the final year of his contract, he may decide to play his own waiting game and leave on a free transfer. And that could leave Mark Hughes with an even longer wait.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.