Brazilian club reportedly upped offer to $64.4m for Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez
Manchester City reached an agreement with SC Corinthians Paulista, Brazil’s biggest soccer club by revenue, for the sale of striker Carlos Tevez, City manager Roberto Mancini said.
“We have an agreement with Corinthians but Carlos now is still a City player,” Mancini said in an interview with Sky Sports News, without giving further details.
Corinthians last week made a €40m ($56.3m) bid for Tevez, whose 20 Premier League goals in the 2010-11 season helped City finish in third place to qualify for the Champions League for the first time. The Sao Paulo-based club improved its offer to £40m ($64.4m), the UK’s Daily Mail reported two days ago.
Both offers more than double the previous Brazilian soccer transfer record, when Corinthians paid Argentina’s Boca Juniors $20m for Tevez in 2004. Tevez played for Corinthians when the club was owned by a company controlled by his agent, Kia Joorabchian. He moved to England in 2006 to join West Ham.
Corinthians President Andres Sanchez said last week that the club would use revenue from its new television deal to pay Tevez, who earns about £200,000 a week at City, according to UK media reports.
Tevez, 27, said July 4 that he doesn’t want to continue to live in the northwest of England without his two daughters. The Argentine striker signed a five-year contract with City in July 2009 after leaving Manchester United.
Over the last two years, Manchester City, which is owned by Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, reported losses of $342m.
Earlier this month, the club signed an estimated $642m, 10-year deal with Etihad Airways which will see the carrier continue as the team’s shirt sponsor and the renaming of the club’s home ground to Etihad Stadium.For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.