We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Sat 12 Nov 2016 02:52 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

MidEast hotel sector sentiment positive despite staff cuts

Hotelier Middle East HR Leaders Survey found 43% of hoteliers have reduced headcount

MidEast hotel sector sentiment positive despite staff cuts

Nearly three-quarters of hospitality industry HR leaders in the Middle East are positive about the sector’s outlook, despite widespread headcount reductions and recruitment freezes in 2016.

That was one of the findings of the second annual Hotelier Middle East Human Capital Report, which is now available to purchase.

The report, based on the Hotelier Middle East HR Leaders Survey and 16 qualitative interviews with leading sector HR professionals, found that 71% of respondents said their company was positive about the hospitality industry’s outlook and the remaining 29% were negative.

However, 43% admitted that their organisation has had to reduce headcount. Of these staffing reductions, half (50%) were made via attrition and a further 16% by the removal of newly budgeted positions (16%). Only two respondents said their company had made actual redundancies.

Nearly two-thirds (64%) said their hotel had implemented a recruitment freeze in 2016, with half of them unsure as to when the hiring ban would be lifted.

The survey asked respondents to decide who they thought held the power in 2016: the job hunter, or the recruiter. The results showed that 64% of respondents felt the power remains with the recruiter, while 36% believed it belongs to the job seeker.

The second annual Hotelier Middle East Human Capital Report is designed to explore the issues, challenges and opportunities facing hospitality professionals responsible for the hotel industry’s most important asset – its people.

For more insight into the opportunities and challenges identified by senior HR leaders in the region’s hospitality industry, follow this link to preview and purchase the Hotelier Middle East Human Capital Report.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

For all the latest travel news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.