Former world boxing champion Mike Tyson on Friday apologised to fans in Dubai, saying reports suggesting he is set to appear at a fight in the emirate were bogus.
Tyson blamed a "bogus promoter" for the reports which said the heavyweight champ was to visit the UAE next month.
Local advertisements stated the boxer, who starred in last year's The Hangover movie, would be in Dubai on January 21 for a boxing match, but Tyson insists he has no immediate plans to visit.
In a post on his Twitter page, Tyson wrote: "There is a rumour about me being in Dubai on Jan 21st to do an appearance (at) a fight match. This is not true. I will not be there.
"Sorry to all my Dubai fans. Unfortunately, a bogus promoter pretending to represent me made an unlawful deal."
Media reports earlier this month said Tyson would be in Dubai to promote an Arab boxing tournament.
Organisers said he would be guest of honour at the event to watch the 12 fights featuring male and female boxers from the Middle East and Europe.
The Federation of Arab Boxing was quoted as saying that Tyson was being paid $160,000 for his appearance.For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.