AC Milan's striking emergency, as coach Carlo Ancelotti described it last week, looked to have eased on Wednesday.
AC Milan's striking emergency, as coach Carlo Ancelotti described it last week, looked to have eased on Wednesday as forward pair Ronaldo and Filippo Inzaghi trained with their teammates. Milan were facing the prospect of having no fit strikers for the visit of Siena on Sunday after teenage Brazilian Pato was injured in last week's 1-0 win at Fiorentina.
Ronaldo and Inzaghi were already out of action and Alberto Gilardino will be suspended for the Siena match, while attacking midfielder Kaka also hurt himself during the Fiorentina match and will miss the Siena game.
But things are looking up for the European champions with Ronaldo and Inzaghi set to return to action this weekend.
Inzaghi has not played since the Milan derby on December 23 while Ronaldo has played only four matches this season due to a succession of leg injuries.
Meanwhile Milan have said that Pato, who damaged his ankle, should be fit for the Champions League second round, first leg trip to Arsenal on February 20.
"Today he's doing much better. Until yesterday he needed crutches to walk but today he managed to walk freely without pain," said Milan's medical co-ordinator Jean Pierre Meersseman.
"We're confident he will recover soon. Until yesterday we thought it would take two to three weeks but now we think he will be back in less than two weeks, in time to face Arsenal."
Kaka too will be back to face Arsenal according to Meersseman. "He will definitely be back to play against Arsenal but not against Siena," he said.
"Kaka has a problem with his knee which he's been carrying for two years and he always feels a little pain the day after a match."
Defender Marek Jankulovski is also in line for a return against Siena having missed most of the season following knee surgery.