By Courtney Trenwith
More than 8m vehicles used the causeway, linking Saudi Arabia & Bahrain, last year, making it one of the most congested roads in the Gulf
The authority in charge of overseeing the causeway linking Bahrain and Saudi Arabia has signed a new, five-year operation and maintenance contract worth SR168 million ($45m).
The King Fahd Causeway is one of the most congested roads in the Gulf, with more than 8 million vehicles travelling across it last year, according to the King Fahd Causeway Authority.
Made up of a series of bridges and roads that stretch a total of 25 kilometres, it opened in 1981 and has been instrumental in boosting trade, employment and ties between the two Gulf states.
The authority said on Sunday it had signed the new contract with Kuwait-based Mudeer Contracting Co.
The contract, which takes effective in October, involves comprehensive maintenance and examination and operation of the causeway on both sides, including facilities belonging to border control stations.
The authority’s director general Badr Al Atishan said the new contract would help improve traffic flow on the congested road and deal with the growing number of commuters.
“The deal will reflect positively on the services provided to commuters and enhance workflow at facilities and government offices on both sides of the causeway,” he said, according to Arab News.