Font Size

- Aa +

Fri 31 Jul 2009 12:29 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

No shortage of cement in Qatar – QNCC

Qatar's largest cement-maker puts Qatar's cement demand at 19,000 tonnes per day.

No shortage of cement in Qatar – QNCC
CEMENT SUPPLY: QNCC is Qatars largest cement-maker.(Getty Images)

Qatar is not in short of cement supply at all, the country’s largest cement-maker said on Wednesday, according to a report.

A senior official of the Qatar National Cement Co (QNCC) said that anyone needing cement can contact the company directly and without any hesitation, The Peninsula reported.

QNCC is Qatar's largest cement-maker and puts the demand of this key building material in the country at present at around 19,000 tonnes per day. "The demand is still high," said Mohamed Ali Al Sulaiti, general manager. "We have ample stocks with us."

According to The Peninsula, Al Sulaiti said the firm was able to meet at least 90 percent of the local requirement by itself. The remaining 10 percent of the cement requirement is imported, it added.

India, Iran, Pakistan, UAE and Saudi Arabia have surplus cement production, Al Sulaiti said, hinting that if the need be, the material could be imported from any of these countries.

Some businessmen here have license to import cement from Saudi Arabia but the quantities they are allowed to bring in are low and vary up to 100 tonnes, the daily said.

However, bringing cement from Saudi Arabia is not an economical option due to the high transport costs involved. Only if the material is brought from the eastern stretches of Saudi Arabia, would it work out cheaper, Al Sulaiti said.

For all the latest construction news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.