US lawyer calls on Duterte to make Kuwait worker ban permanent following Filipina maid's death

President Rodrigo Duterte last February 2018 imposed a partial ban on household workers travelling to Kuwait
US lawyer calls on Duterte to make Kuwait worker ban permanent following Filipina maid's death
Kuwait and the Philippines in May last year signed an agreement to regulate domestic workers, overturning a partial ban imposed by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte after a Filipina maid was murdered and her body found in a freezer.
By Shane McGinley
Mon 20 May 2019 11:06 AM

A prominent Washington-based legal expert has called on the Philippines to introduce a permanent ban on the country’s citizens working as household staff in Kuwait following a fatal assault on a Filipina maid in the Gulf state last week, according to a report by the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Monday.

Kuwait and the Philippines in May last year signed an agreement to regulate domestic workers, overturning a partial ban imposed by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte after a Filipina maid was murdered and her body found in a freezer.

Last week, 47-year-old Constancia Lago Dayag died in a Kuwaiti hospital and an investigation said “her body bore various contusions and hematoma, as well as signs of sexual assault,” the PNA said. https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1070073

When asked whether the Manilla government was considering reinstating the temporary ban imposed by President Duterte, Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello told the PNA “it’s an option”.

On Monday, Arnedo S. Valera, chairperson of the US Pinoys for Real Change in the Philippines (USPRCP) and the Migrant Heritage Commission (MHC) condemned the attack.

Valera, a noted migration lawyer based in Washington, called on President Duterte to call for a summit meeting with Kuwait Prime Minister Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah to address the issue and reinstate the ban on workers in the country until their safety can be guaranteed.

"We welcome the news that President Duterte is taking steps to impose a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers in Kuwait. We believe that he will swiftly act on this, for by his words and actions, President Duterte has been a true champion of our OFWs. We urge him, however, to make this a permanent ban," he was quoted as saying by the PNA.

Valera also called on the Kuwaiti government to probe Dayag's case and catch the perpetrator, in accordance with Kuwait’s judicial system.

The Philippine embassy in Kuwait is working closely with authorities in the ongoing investigation of the killing of Dayag, the report said.

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.