US Navy calls off search for missing sailor who fell overboard from warship in the Gulf

Missing sailor was part of the helicopter sea combat team aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln
US Navy calls off search for missing sailor who fell overboard from warship in the Gulf
The USS Abraham Lincoln was ordered to the Gulf in May amidst escalating tensions between the US and Iran.
By Shane McGinley
Sun 21 Jul 2019 09:34 AM

The United States Navy and several other ships in the Arabian Sea carried out a search and rescue operation after an American sailor was declared missing after falling overboard, the Bahrain-based US Fifth Fleet said in a statement on Thursday.

“The US Navy has ended its search and rescue efforts for a Sailor, assigned to Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5, who is believed to have gone overboard from the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), the morning of July 17,” the US Navy said in a statement.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and shipmates of our lost Sailor,” said Vice Adm. Jim Malloy, commander, US Naval Forces Central Command, US 5th Fleet, and Combined Maritime Forces.

“The Sailor remains listed as Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown (DUSTWUN),” the statement added.

The USS Abraham Lincoln was ordered to the Gulf in May amidst escalating tensions between the US and Iran.

The White House issued a statement in early May from the National Security Advisor Ambassador John Bolton, which said: “In response to a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings, the United States is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the US Central Command region to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force.

“The United States is not seeking war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether by proxy, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, or regular Iranian forces.”

Since then, four ships, including two Saudi oil tankers, were damaged in mysterious sabotage attacks off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, which the US blamed on Iran.

This weekend, Iran ignored mounting European calls for it to release a British-flagged tanker it said it seized on Friday. The tanker was impounded off Bandar Abbas port for allegedly failing to respond to distress calls and turning off its transponder after colliding with a fishing vessel, authorities said, adding an investigation had been launched.

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.