By Staff writer
In mid-April, Oman had already announced a 5% reduction in government budgets
Oman will cut the budgets of government entities and the military a further 5 percent in a bid to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the state-run Oman News Agency said on Wednesday.
Oman had previously already cut budgets for government entities in mid-April as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
In a separate announcement, Oman’s minister of financial affairs said that government measures to help its economy through the pandemic have so far totalled $3.4 billion.
On Wednesday, Oman announced that authorities had detected 148 new cases of Covid-19, bringing the sultanate’s total to 3,721.
The sultanate’s death toll now stands at 17.
Earlier in May, Oman’s Supreme Committee decided an extension of lockdown measures in Muscat Governorate under May 29.
Additionally, earlier this week the Ministry of Manpower urged private sector firms to ask employees to get tested for Covid-19.
The Ministry also called on businesses and employees to not hide suspected cases of coronavirus, and vowed to take legal action against anyone who violates the order.