Prince Alwaleed to face Forbes “firmly and legally”

Saudi billionaire prince plans to take legal action over US magazine's Rich List
Prince Alwaleed to face Forbes “firmly and legally”
By Massoud A. Derhally
Wed 03 Apr 2013 10:23 AM

Saudi Arabia’s Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has said he will pursue US magazine Forbes in the courts, following a row over its Rich List last month.

The prince cut his ties with the publisher after it valued his total wealth at US$20bn – US$9.6bn less than his own estimate.

“We will face them firmly and legally,” Alwaleed said when asked by a group of hosts in an three-hour interview on his Rotana entertainment channel on Tuesday night.

“If you go back to the article, [the disagreement] isn’t just related to Forbes - it’s related to Saudi Arabia, the Saudi stock market and trading in the market. They said the market and trading environment was like a casino. We don’t accept his. We took it upon ourselves to defend the kingdom, its reputation, and market trading. Saudi Arabia is a G20 nation; it has a strong and valuable economy. Therefore we don’t accept these accusations and will stand up to them.”

Asked if the disagreement with the magazine was personal, he responded: “No no… US$1bn, US$10bn this has no value to me. It’s of course important but it’s not essential. But the attack on Saudi Arabia’s monetary system and its policies related to the stock market? This is completely rejected.”

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.