By Gavin Gibbon
Dubai-based developer Rizwan Sajan admits he had thought about postponing the announcement
Rizwan Sajan has defended his decision to launch a $109 million development in the middle of the deadly coronavirus spread.
The Indian billionaire, who revealed the latest addition to his Danube Properties portfolio on Wednesday with the launch of Olivz, in Dubai, admitted he had thought about postponing the announcement as the spread of Covid-19 caused turmoil in the national and international markets.
He said: “The same thing that’s on everybody’s mind was also on my mind when we launched this project, whether we should launch now or we should wait?
“So many times we thought about it. But then again I thought to myself, is the world come to a stop, have we stopped living, have we stopped eating, have we stopped going to the parties? We’re still going to the nightclubs, we still enjoy the best restaurants, we still go everywhere. So why not (launch) a project?”
To date, there have been 74 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United Arab Emirates.
Measures to control the virus spread include closing all schools and education institutions two weeks early for spring break and employing distance learning, as well as additional screening at airports and restricting travel to certain countries with high infection rates, such as Iran, which has recorded 9,000 cases and 354 deaths so far.
On Wednesday the World Health Organisation (WHO) formally declared the disease outbreak a pandemic, with over 126,000 cases confirmed in 124 countries across the world and more than 4,600 people killed by Covid-19.
However, Sajan believed there would be light at the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later.
He said: “There are viruses in the past, so many viruses have come and gone. How many have stayed? This will stay for another two, three months. Why should we stop?”