By Staff writer
UK newspaper The Sunday Times says slush fund was used to secure votes
Qatar used a slush fund of $5m to bribe FIFA officials to win the 2022 World Cup, according to documents obtained by the UK's The Sunday Times newspaper.
The paper claims that it has uncovered a “bombshell cache of millions of documents… which expose how Qatar’s astonishing victory in the race to secure the right to host the 2022 tournament was sealed by a covert campaign by Mohammed bin Hammam, the country’s top football official.”
Qatar was awarded the tournament in 2010 by FIFA in a decision that provoked widespread disbelief and condemnation, and the country has been dogged by allegations of bribery ever since.
The paper says that Bin Hammam channeled cash payments of up to $200,000 into the bank accounts of the presidents of 30 African football associations. It also alleges that several events were held in Qatar where more cash was handed out. A further $1.6m was paid in bribes to Jack Warner, former vice president of FIFA, the paper alleges - $450,000 of which was paid just before the World Cup vote.
The paper also claims that 25 FIFA delegates received $200,000 in cash after being flown to Malaysia to discuss the bid, and that one FIFA official asked for $232,000 to be sent to his personal bank account.
Bin Hammam himself was kicked out of world football in 2011 after being found guilty of trying to bribe officials in his bid to get elected as FIFA president.
The 2022 World Cup was awarded to Qatar in 2010, the same day that the 2018 tournament was awarded to Russia.
On Saturday, leading UK MP John Whittingdale called on Qatar to be stripped of the tournament. “There is now an overwhelming case that the decision to where the World Cup should be held in 2022 should be run again,” he said.
Last month FIFA boss Sepp Blatter admitted that it was a “mistake” to give Qatar the World Cup due to the extreme heat in the summer.
Legal experts suggest the new evidence could result in Qatar being suspended from the 2022 tournament pending an investigation, or completely thrown out. “There is a precedent for this – back in 1986 Columbia was scrapped as the host nation just months before the event because the stadiums were not deemed suitable. This is still 8 years away, so there would be no legal issues with FIFA deciding to re-run the bidding process.”
Should Qatar be removed, Japan, Australia, the USA and England are all expected to make new bids. Last year, Arabian Business called on Qatar to hand back the World Cup over growing concerns over the summer heat and the number of deaths of labourer working on the infrastructure to host the even.
As I said several times before:
Take the 2022 championship away from Qatar, and give it to the Aussies!
FIFA and Blatter: act NOW, not tomorow!
It's high time now!
I knew it was fishy . there was something about it , especially when Mr. Hammam , was found guilty , as they say tiger cannot change their spots , which means if you agree to the concept of bribery and have no ethics then what is preventing you from doing it again , and you think money can buy you whatever you want ,
They should be stripped from the world cup , and forbidden from any International event to know what they did is wrong .
The it from them, they even didn't qualify at least once to the World Cup by themselves. The organization should be given only to countries that have had past successes in the international competition. Saudi Arabia is the only country in the region that could deserve organization of the World Cup.
To Australia, YES/YES/YES.
Qatar has been exposed to global propoganda from the outset by jealous coercive forces on the surface and sub-surface, Yet they remained steadfast in their vision. Not once did they ask to change the dates of The World Cup. FIFA are the one's who should be held accountable as this old school boys club has failed miserably on every level of ethics, morality and du-dilligience. This is a leadership issue for FIFA and the old guard should be removed and re-instated with a more modern integrated regime who can assure the global public that evaluating standards and practices are upheld and practiced collectively from hereon-in. Im sure in due course you will see the real truth's and realities of practice being unwrapped and it won't stem from the Qatari decision makers as they are too proud a nation to let this happen. This whole evolving and sustained attack on Qatar has been totally unjustified from winning the bid to present day which is indeed down to Jealousy, Envy and FIFA Corruption
The British Newspapers seem to be saying a lot about Qatar's 2022 bid but we still haven't seen any credible evidence that proves Qatar is in the wrong. At the moment, it is all hearsay until we see the evidence.
Articles of this nature have been floating around for years but yet we still haven't seen Qatar being stripped of the 2022 World Cup.
To European, USA 94....I don't recall USA Ever qualifying on their own - what's your point.....
Lets show the proof before we start the accusations. Why is Arabian Business so keen on getting Qatar to give up the cup...are you jealous because UAE didnt get it? Go take a hike man...all what you have written are allegations nothing has been proven. Innocent until proven guilty should be always upheld!!
The only trouble makers and jeolus people who keep steering the lead are the English! Ironically the Government of Qatar have saved many English businesses from going bankrupt by investing billions in England and awarding hefty contracts to English companies in Qatar.
No matter what ever the Qataris do to help the English out the dog's tail can never be straightened.
so from your point of view , only the receiver should be punished , if you are rich and do something wrong itâ€™s not my fault they accepted it , the logic is â€¦. , but I agree with A R letâ€™s wait and see the UK news paper actually proving what they said , but as they say the reputation sometimes is more important ,like the current case with the USA clippers owner .