Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 12 Aug 2009 09:15 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Qatar's RasGas says Train 6 starts LNG output

New train capable of producing 7.8m tonnes of LNG (liquified natural gas) annually.

Qatar and Exxon Mobil have started producing liquefied natural gas (LNG) from a new facility in the Gulf state, LNG producer RasGas said on Wednesday."RasGas Company Limited (RasGas) announced today that Train 6 has produced its first liquefied natural gas," it said in a statement.

The new train is capable of producing 7.8 million tonnes of LNG per year, boosting the overall LNG production capacity of all RasGas companies to approximately 28.5 million tonnes per year, it said.

Qatar, the world's largest LNG exporter, expects to double annual capacity this year to 62 million tonnes through the start-up of four huge new LNG production facilities.

LNG is gas super-chilled to liquid form for export in specially designed tankers. The gas is processed and chilled at facilities known as trains.

RasGas expects to start Train 7 in late 2009. Both Trains 6 and 7 were expected to export LNG to Asia and the United States.

State-run Qatar Petroleum owns 70 percent of RasGas Train 6, while Exxon Mobil owns the remaining 30 percent.

Qatar has two LNG producers, RasGas and Qatargas. Both are majority-owned by Qatar Petroleum. (Reuters)

For all the latest energy and oil news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.