By Staff writer
Organisers have issued full details of plans for managing the world record breaking fireworks attempt
The Dubai Media Office has issued full details of plans for access to the Palm Jumeirah during the run up to New Year's Eve. Below are the procedures and restrictions which will be in place to manage Dubai's attempt to break the world record for the 'Largest Firework Display'.
For details on transport plans put in place for those planning to attend Sandance at the Atlantis, The Palm hotel, click here.
Overview & Traffic Management Scheme
Dubai has once again put forth an ambitious new plan to break the Guinness World Record for the ‘Largest Firework Display’! As part of Dubai’s commitment to excellence, the city is coming together to set a phenomenal pyrotechnic record on 31 December that aims to light up the Dubai skyline with a host of spectacular and memorable firework displays.
The extraordinary show will start with a six-minute display choreographed across the whole of The Palm Jumeirah and the islands of The World. The sheer magnitude of the performance will be incredible with over 200 expert pyrotechnicians, 400 firing locations and 100 computer networked to control the show down to the millisecond. The world record breaking attempt will cover a distance of approximately 100km of seafront and feature over 400,000 colourful fireworks and a series of amazing scenes designed exclusively for the event and set to a specially choreographed musical soundtrack.
The breathtaking display, which includes a ‘Flying Falcon’, ‘UAE Flag’ and a ‘Sunrise’ scene, will begin shortly before midnight and showcase the city as one of the world’s premier locations for the global community to visit. Visible from numerous vantage points across Dubai, all hotels on The Palm Jumeirah will be hosting events to celebrate their involvement in the world record attempt, further demonstrating the appeal of the city’s most exciting tourism destinations.
Certain restrictions will apply in terms of traffic movement and access to The Palm Jumeirah on 31 December 2013. A pass system will be put in place to ensure the safety of all residents and visitors. To avoid any inconvenience, it is important to be fully aware of these restrictions and to plan accordingly.
Access to The Palm Jumeirah will be restricted to Event Pass holders only. Residents can use their passes to bring in their guests, providing they follow the permitted access timetable.
Timings are as follows:
• 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM – Access to Event Pass holders in their personal vehicles and Passengers in Taxis holding event pass.
• 9:00 PM to 10:30 PM – Access to Passengers in Taxis holding event pass only.
• 10:30 PM – 1:00 AM – No access. for the purpose of safety and security car traffic will not be allowed on Palm Jumeirah from 10:30pm until 1:00am on 1 January 2014. Provision will be made only for emergency situations.
As parking space on the Fronds is limited, residents are advised to limit the number of guest vehicles to a maximum of five vehicles per villa. Each vehicle will have a Car Pass.
Walking around The Palm Jumeirah will be restricted from 10:30pm onwards to ensure the safety of residents and visitors during the show.
For more information on the Dubai World Record 2014 event, please visit: www.dubaiworldrecord2014.com
Facts & Figures about DWR 2014
• Fireworks will be presented from the 7 Continents on The World Islands in celebration of and an invitation to the global community to come to Dubai during the journey to World Expo 2020.
• A Flying Falcon scene opens the program, leading the Countdown in English and Arabic Digits – using the exclusive GrucciSkyEtching™ technology.
• The display features 7 - 24” (600mm) shells that rise 600m above the 7 World Island Continents, each spreading a canopy over 700m wide!
• These 24”/600mm shells were initially manufactured in Grucci’s New York Facility and are now in final assembly on the World “New York” Island – they are the Largest Ever Fired in the Middle East.
• A UAE Flag will be presented at 225m wide x 130m high – using a patented PixelBurst™ technology that uses embedded computer chips for precision firing. At 29,250 square meters, it will be the largest pyrotechnic flag ever presented!
• Fireworks by Grucci are globally recognized for their high profile performances over a 150-year history and have orchestrated all the details of this display.
• Grucci has designed a “Sunrise” scene that will awaken the World across nearly 10 kilometers wide!
• The fireworks performance will be choreographed to music composed specifically for this event, but inspired by a local song
Some interesting statistics include:
• Aiming for over 400,000+ fireworks
• 5,000+ man-days required to complete the attempt
• The performance with be 6 minutes in duration – but the existing Guinness World Record is targeted to be broken within the first 60 seconds!
• 400+ firing locations
• Team of over 200 GrucciPyrotechnicians
• 10 months of planning
• Approximately 100 linear km of fireworks
• Fireworks specially handcrafted for the program in the USA, China and Spain
• 100+ computers are networked to control the show down to the millisecond
Where is the money of 10/20,000 investor's, Dubai? Is that excellence? No investor is going to lose 1 Dirham!!!!!!
Wish it was other way around, praying for the coming year to be prosperous and successful for Dubai and its people rather than firing up so much money.