Saudi Arabia has confirmed the execution of a Filipino convicted of killing one of his Saudi employers.
Carletto Lana was sentenced to death after he shot dead Saudi national Nasser Al Gahtani before running him over with a car.
The Ministry of Interior announced the beheading via the Saudi Press Agency, saying the execution had been endorsed by higher courts.
It said Lana had been executed in Riyadh on Friday. Media in the Philippines reported that it had been carried out despite an appeal from Philippine President Benigno Aquino III.
Papers quoted Jejomar Binay, presidential adviser on overseas Filipino workers (OFW) concerns, as saying: "Lana shot his victim then tried to flee using his victim’s car and in doing so ran over the latter’s head."
Media said Aquino wrote a letter to King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz requesting the Saudi monarch’s intercession in convincing the heirs of the victim to enter into an amicable settlement, but the family did not issue an affidavit of forgiveness.
In August, Amnesty International condemned a “disturbing” recent surge in the use of the death penalty in Saudi Arabia.
There was a surge in executions in Saudi Arabia since the end of Ramadan, with 17 announced between August 4-18, compared to 17 in the last six months.
Saudi Arabia is one of the top executioners in the world, with more than 2,000 people executed between 1985 and 2013.
In 2013, Saudi executed at least 79 people, three of whom were under 18 at the time of the crimes for which they were put to death, in blatant violation of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. So far in 2014, at least 34 people have been executed.For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.