Saudi billionaire Alwaleed brands Trump 'a disgrace' as backlash grows

Richest Arab in the world says Trump should pull out of White House race after calling for a ban on Muslims entering the US
Saudi billionaire Alwaleed brands Trump 'a disgrace' as backlash grows
By Staff writer
Sat 12 Dec 2015 11:24 AM

The richest Arab in the world has entered the row surrounding Donald Trump by calling him a "disgrace" following the US Republican presidential candidate's call to ban all Muslims from the United States.

Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal blasted Trump on Twitter, saying he should pull out of the race for the White House as he "will never win".

In the tweet published on Friday, Prince Alwaleed said Trump was a "disgrace not only to the GOP but to all America". The GOP referred to is the Grand Old Party, as the Republican Party is sometimes called.

Within hours, Trump's response came back, also on Twitter.

"Dopey Prince @Alwaleed_Talal wants to control our US politicians with daddy's money," he said. "Can't do it when I get elected."

Alwaleed, who topped the 2014 Arabian Business Rich List with a personal fortune of $28.1 billion, is the latest prominent Middle East-based businessman to publicly criticise the US billionaire.

UAE tycoon Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor earlier ruled out any chance of working with Trump, saying he didn't trust him anymore.

Branding Trump "the biggest enemy of Islam" over his call to ban Muslims from entering the US, Al Habtoor said he was no longer supporting his bid for power.

In a video interview with CNN, Al Habtoor said: "I view him as the biggest enemy of Islam. He is a man supporting ISIS... he is encouraging them, this is what they want to hear."

His comments followed the decision by one of the Middle East’s largest retailers, Landmark Group, to stop selling Trump-branded products following the controversial Muslim ban comments.

And on Thursday, Damac Properties, which is building a $6 billion golf complex with Trump, stripped the property of his name and image.

Trump’s call to ban Muslims from entering the US was the most dramatic response yet by a candidate to last week’s shooting spree by two Muslims who the FBI said had been radicalised. His comments were widely condemned by representatives from both sides of America’s political spectrum.

Separately, Gulf leaders condemned "hostile, racist" remarks against Muslims and Syrian refugees in a statement issued on Thursday.

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.