Three Saudi doctors who sued a Canadian university for $156m over grievances with its medical programme lost their case in the Ontario Court of Appeal, it was reported.
In a decision released Friday, a three-member panel of the court unanimously rejected an appeal by the doctors against the dismissal of their case last April by Ontario Superior Court Judge Timothy Minnema as an abuse of process, the Ottawa Citizen reported.
The three Saudis, all current or former medical residents at the university who have either been dismissed from the programme or denied advancement, filed their lawsuit in November 2011.
Their list of allegations against the university and ten physicians affiliated with its faculty of medicine ranged from conspiracy and malfeasance in public office to negligence and racial discrimination, the Ottawa Citizen said.
In dismissing their appeal of Minnema’s judgment, the appeal court said it saw “no basis to interfere” with the judge’s factual finding in the case.
“We agree with the findings and conclusions reached by the motion judge,” the appeal court panel said, dismissing the appeal with costs of $15,000 charged to the three Saudi appellants.
Earlier this month, Minnema ordered the three doctors to pay legal costs of $90,000 to the university and the other defendant related to their unsuccessful lawsuit.For all the latest health tips & news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.