Font Size

- Aa +

Thu 25 Aug 2016 01:49 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Saudi-led air strikes responsible for most Yemen civilian deaths - UN

UN human rights office says coalition has committed other violations that may contravene international law

Saudi-led air strikes responsible for most Yemen civilian deaths - UN

Air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen are responsible for the largest part of the 3,799 civilians killed so far and it has committed other violations that may contravene international law, the UN human rights office said on Thursday.

Houthi rebels and allied forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who rule the capital Sanaa, have carried out rocket and mortar attacks on residential areas and used landmines, it said in a report.

In a statement, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein called for an international investigation into the grave violations, saying a national commission had not worked in pursuing perpetrators.

"The cases monitored by the Office indicate that air strikes were the single largest cause of casualties," the UN report said. "The prolonged duration of the conflict has strongly heightened the disastrous risk of a systemic collapse of Yemen."