We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Thu 21 Jan 2010 08:07 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

Saudi's Kingdom Tower evacuated after bomb hoax

Police investigating after anonymous caller claims a bomb planted inside the building.

Saudi's Kingdom Tower evacuated after bomb hoax
SAUDI LANDMARK: Kingdom Tower in Riyadh was evacuated after an employee received a bomb threat on Wednesday. (Getty Images)

Kingdom Tower, the Saudi capital city’s landmark, was evacuated on Wednesday evening after officials were told a bomb had been planted in a car in the building’s parking area.

However, police confirmed the incident was a hoax and that no bomb device was found. They said a full investigation is now underway.

“Nothing suspicious was found and the Kingdom Tower was reopened after a brief search,” Mansour Al-Turki, Ministry of Interior spokesman told Arab News. “We confirm that this was a hoax. The building and sites immediately close to it were evacuated as a precautionary measure.”

A spokesman for Riyadh police said an employee of Samba Financial Group had received an anonymous call from a person claiming a bomb had been fitted to a vehicle in the building’s car park that would explode within an hour.

“Security agencies and weapons and explosives experts rushed to the area and found it was a false alert,” Lt. Col. Sami bin Muhammad Al-Shuwairekh, told the paper.

The 99-floor building, which is the headquarters of Kingdom Holding Company, houses several offices, restaurants and shops as well as the 249-room Four Seasons Hotel.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall