By Shane McGinley
STC, Mobily and Zain say they have not been instructed to stop the service.
Saudi mobile phone network providers have not been instructed to cut off their Blackberry Messenger Service, according to a newspaper report on Monday.
STC, Mobily and Zain told the Arab News daily newspaper that they have not been instructed by the Communication and Information Technology Commission (CITC) to stop the service.
Last week, it was reported that the CITC had asked Canada-based Research In Motion, the company that owns BlackBerry Messenger, to allow the telecoms regulator access to monitor messages sent by the mobile device.
Reports also claimed that the regulator had threatened to shut down the service, which allows owners to share photos, videos, SMS messages and voice tones.
“RIM operates in more than 170 countries around the world and respects the regulatory requirements of governments,” the company said in a statement issued to Arab News last week.
"RIM is investigating the reported matter in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and will provide an update once further information is available to share," the statement added.
A CITC spokesman refused to comment when contacted by the newspaper.