By Claire Valdini
Small fire breaks out in Lebanese restaurant at retail complex; none reported injured
Shoppers in Dubai Mall were evacuated on Tuesday after a small fire broke out in a restaurant on the second floor.
Dubai Media Office said in a statement on Twitter that the fire had been brought under control. “A minor fire in one of the restaurants at Dubai Mall has been brought under control,” it said.
Visitors to the world’s largest shopping mall were asked to leave at midday after the fire broke out at the Lebanese restaurant, Al Hallab. Emergency services were called and shops were closed.
The Emaar-built Dubai Mall, the world’s most visited shopping and leisure destination last year, has been forced to evacuate on several occasions since opening in 2008. Hundreds of shoppers were asked to leave in April following a suspected gas leak. The incident was later blamed on two teenagers who spread helium gas through the air-conditioning units as a prank.
Shoppers were also evacuated in 2010 after the Dubai Aquarium leaked.