IOC says it has provisionally lifted its suspension on Kuwait over alleged government meddling in sports
The International Olympic Committee on Thursday announced it has provisionally lifted its ban on Kuwait over alleged government meddling in sports, allowing the Gulf state to take part in the Asian Games in Jakarta.
The global sports body suspended Kuwait in October 2015 and while its executive board said the reason remains valid, the ban was being lifted "as a gesture of goodwill to recognise the progress accomplished".
Last year, Kuwait's parliament endorsed a new law on sport in a bid to overturn the ban.
"The IOC Executive Board acknowledged the progress accomplished to date and the positive discussions with the Government of Kuwait in order to resolve the situation," the IOC said in a statement.
It added it had received a "clear undertaking" from the Government of Kuwait not to obstruct the work of the country's Olympic Committee.
"In the interest of Kuwaiti athletes and as a gesture of goodwill to recognise the progress accomplished, the IOC Executive Board has decided to provisionally lift the suspension of the KOC with immediate effect," it said.
The IOC Executive Board will review the situation at a meeting in October.