Liverpool CEO Peter Moore said that owners Fenway Sports Group "are in for the long-run"
Although Liverpool FC is not for sale, the club remains open to offers from groups or individuals interested in acquiring a minority stake, according to CEO Peter Moore.
Speaking to Arabian Business on the sidelines of the Dubai International Sports Conference on Wednesday, Moore said that the club “is not discourteous enough to discount people who say that [they are] interested.”
“The club has made it very clear that if the right partner is interested in a minority stake, they would consider that,” he said.
In late August 2018, it was reported that Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group turned down a £2 billion ($2.6 billion) takeover bid from a cousin of Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour, Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
At the time, Britain’s Press Association said it understood that the offer – one of a number of approaches FSG has received in recent years – did not go further than the vetting stage because it was deemed to be neither credible nor worthy of being put to the ownership.
Speaking in Dubai this week, Moore said that Fenway Sports Group founder John Henry, chairman Tom Werner and president Michael Gordon “are in for the long-run.”
“I stand by what the ownership has said. We’re not selling this club,” he said. “But if there is an individual or a group that adds value that can come in for a minority stake, I’m sure they’d consider it.”
Liverpool was bought by Fenway – previously known as New England Sports Ventures – for £300 million ($381.57 million) in 2010.
In May 2018, business services group KPMG valued the club at £1.42 billion ($1.81 billion).