By Bernd Debusmann Jr
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has said that teams are dealing with 'a moving target' with regards to logistics
The upcoming Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix will go ahead as scheduled despite fears over the ongoing coronavirus outbreak in the region, according to Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey.
The Bahrain Grand Prix is scheduled to take place on March 22. The event marks the second event of the Formula 1 2020 season, followings its inaugural event in Melbourne on March 15.
“We’re headed to Melbourne, heading to Bahrain and heading to Hanoi,” Carey said of the first three races of the season.
In an interview with Sky Sports, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said that Formula 1 teams are dealing with a “bit of a moving target” when it comes to logistics because of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
Last week, for example, Bahrain cancelled all flights from Dubai for a 48-hour period after it identified a number of Covid-19 infected individuals who had travelled to Bahrain from Iran via the UAE.
Other countries have taken similar steps to try stem the flow of infected travellers coming from certain parts of the globe.
“Can you come back into Bahrain via Dubai? Probably not at the moment,” Horner said. “We’ve got Honda engineers. Can they go back to Japan? Would they be allowed into Australia even at the moment?”
In Italy, Ferrari has closed access to its museums in Marenello and Modena, and restricted factory access to prevent those who have been to infected areas from entering.