By Amy Glass
Mohamed Haneef cleared by Australian police of involvement in failed UK attacks, now in UAE.
The Indian doctor cleared on Friday of any wrong-doingafter an Australian terrorist investigation is now living in the UAE, it has emerged.
Mohamed Haneef, who was cleared by Australian Federal Police of involvement in last year’s failed UK bomb attacks, has taken a job in a UAE hospital, the Indo-Asian News Service (IANS) reported on Friday.
Haneef’s family members told the IANS Haneef and his family had been in the UAE for nearly a month.
The family did not disclose which emirate Haneef was residing in, or the hospital he was employed at.
Haneef, now 28, was incarcerated in Australia for three weeks last July after being charged with supporting a terrorist organisation by giving his mobile phone SIM card to people planning bomb attacks in London and Glasgow.
Haneef had been working in a hospital on Australia's Gold Coast when he was arrested at Brisbane airport.
However, the charge was dropped three weeks later, and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) said Friday they had abandoned their investigation into Haneef over a lack of evidence.
"The AFP has concluded its active inquiries, although some long-standing overseas inquiries are yet to be fully resolved," the AFP said in a statement.
The AFP kept the investigation open for more than a year after charges against Haneef were dropped, spending more than $6.9 million on the case.
"It has left the whole family in darkness, this episode. Just because of some - I don't know - some foolish mistakes from some person," Haneef told newspaper The Weekend Australian on Friday.
The Weekend Australian described Haneef as living in a “town outside Dubai”.
However, Haneef said he still hoped to return to Australia, the newspaper said.
I guess by still putting the guy under the lenses, we are still playing into the hands of the so called 'freedom fries brigade', does this really have to be on the homepage ?