Oman is set to appeal the verdict against the Mwasalat bus driver who was involved in a crash that claimed 17 lives in Dubai last month, it was reported on Thursday.
Times of Oman quoted the country’s ambassador to the UAE, Dr Khalid bin Said bin Salim Al Jaradi, as saying that the Oman embassy was following up the case.
Dubai’s Traffic Court sentenced the Omani driver to seven years and AED3.4 million in compensation towards the families of the victims.
It also ordered the driver to be deported after the completion of his jail term.
Al Jaradi told the paper: “We are going to appeal the verdict issued by Dubai Traffic court on Thursday against the Omani bus driver. The embassy is following up the case.”
According to Dubai authorities, the 53-year old driver was travelling at speeds of 94 km/h on June 6 when the Mwasalat bus – which was travelling from Muscat to Dubai – struck an overhead height barrier.
The driver took a wrong left turn, which led the bus to an area with a height restriction. In addition to the dead, 13 people were left injured.
The passengers – who were returning from Oman following Eid Al Fitr holidays – included citizens of Germany, Ireland, India, Pakistan and the Philippines.For all the latest transport news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.