We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Mon 24 Feb 2020 02:17 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Dubai's DP World acquires Fraser Surrey Docks in Canada

Port operator says the acquisition complements its footprint in Canada, which also includes terminal operations in Vancouver, Nanaimo, Prince Rupert and St John's

Dubai's DP World acquires Fraser Surrey Docks in Canada

DP World said its global strategy is to become a trade enabler and solutions provider as the company looks to participate across a wider part of the supply chain.

Dubai-based DP World on Monday announced it has completed the acquisition of Fraser Surrey Docks in Canada from Macquarie Infrastructure Partners (MIP) alongside its partner Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ).

The port operator said the acquisition complements its footprint in Canada, which also includes terminal operations in Vancouver, Nanaimo, Prince Rupert and St John’s, without disclosing the value of the purchase.

The integrated coast-to-coast platform provides customers with bulk, breakbulk and general cargo services.

DP World said its global strategy is to become a trade enabler and solutions provider as the company looks to participate across a wider part of the supply chain.

Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, group chairman and CEO, DP World, said: “The acquisition of Fraser Surrey Docks bolsters our footprint in the west coast of Canada. DP World has been seeing growing demand from our customers for multi-purpose facilities in the region and we believe Fraser Surrey Docks has the relevant infrastructure and is in the right location to service this demand. We are confident that our innovative approach will bring DP World’s best-in-class terminal operations to Fraser Surrey Docks.”

Matt Leech, CEO and managing director, DP World Americas, added: “This new addition to DP World’s portfolio provides unique prospects for additional growth in the dynamic Canadian business environment. We look forward to helping Fraser Surrey reach its full potential and generating greater value over the long-term for DP World and its customers.”

Fraser Surrey Docks was founded in the early 1960s and has become the largest modern and multi-purpose terminal on the West Coast of North America.

It operates more than 1,200 metres of berth, 189 acres of yard and is one of the region’s major steel import terminals. It moves approximately one million tonnes of agriproducts annually and serves several container lines, handling over 350,000 TEU in 2019.

In 2016, DP World partnered with CDPQ to create a $3.7 billion platform to invest in ports and terminals worldwide. Since then, the partnership has leveraged DP World’s strong track record in the port sector and CDPQ’s in-house infrastructure expertise to grow a high-quality portfolio of 10 ports and terminals across the globe, including locations in Canada, Chile, the Dominican Republic and Australia.

DP World holds 55 percent of the platform and CDPQ holds the remaining 45 percent.

Arabian Business digital magazine: read the latest edition online

For all the latest transport news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.