Dubai Municipality has shut down a restaurant after 15 people fell ill following a salmonella poisoning outbreak
The Food Safety Department (FSD) ordered the outlet to close and held its chef and person-in-charge (PIC) of food safety responsible for the infection that caused the outbreak, the municipality told Gulf News.
The FSD has downgraded the food safety rating of the outlet and revoked its PIC certificate.
The American food outlet in a Jumeirah mall will be under close monitoring for the next six months and will only be allowed to reopen after taking precautionary safety measures.
The 15 poisoned diners, including a child, were hospitalised with symptoms such as diarrohea, fever and vomiting.
The FSD team traced the infection to raw eggs used in hollandaise sauce, officials said.
Following this case, the FSD has reissued an alert to eateries preparing food with eggs reminding them about its ban on using raw eggs in ready-to-eat products.
In 2012, the municipality barred Dubai restaurants from using raw eggs in ready-to-eat products after authorities identified them as the cause of multiple salmonella infections.
New regulations that restrict the use of raw and under-cooked eggs were introduced and it was made mandatory to declare their use in food labels or menus.
Over 20 food poisoning cases were linked to consumption of unsafe egg products in Dubai the first half of 2018.For all the latest travel news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.