By Staff Writer
The country continues to mourn the passing of Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who transformed the former Arabian Peninsula backwater into a modern nation
Hotels in Oman have been banned from holding events for 40 days as the country mourns the passing of Sultan Qaboos bin Said, according to the Times of Oman.
The Ministry of Tourism issued a statement asking hotels across the country to refrain from holding concerts, arts or musical performances.
“Based on the statement issued by the Diwan of Royal Court, which included declaring mourning, disrupting official work for three days, and the flags at half-mast for forty days, the Ministry of Tourism calls upon all hotel and tourist establishments to stop completely holding any concerts, art or musical performance of any form, during the period of mourning,” the statement said.
“And this also includes not using music in all public and private events held in hotel establishments,” the statement added.
Last week, the Muscat Festival 2020 was cancelled due to national mourning for the late Sultan Qaboos.
The Muscat Municipality announced the cancellation of this year’s event, which was set to get underway in January and run through to mid-February, as a mark of respect for the sultanate’s former ruler, who died on Friday 10th at the age of 79.
A host of cultural, entertainment, heritage and sporting events were planned for the festival in the build up to celebrating the country’s 50th National Day in November.
Sultan Qaboos was known to have transformed the sultanate into a modern nation with a staunch policy of neutrality and non-interference that won it respect in the region and beyond.
Haitham bin Tariq, the long-serving culture minister, was sworn in shortly after modern Oman's founding father was laid to rest. The new ruler was the Sultanate’s Minister of Heritage and Culture and the driving force behind the restoration of many historical monuments in Oman.