Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 27 Aug 2008 01:55 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Tunisian success for Petrofac

Gas production from Tunisia’s Kerkennah Island underway.

Petrofac has announced that commercial production of gas and condensate has begun from the Chergui field located on Kerkennah Island in Tunisia. Petrofac is the operator of the field with a 45% interest, while their development partner, Tunisian state oil company - Entreprise Tunisienne D’Activitiés Pétrolières (ETAP), holds the remaining majority stake of 55%.

Gas from the field is due to be sold to Société Tunisienne de L’Electricité et du Gaz (STEG), the Tunisian state gas and electricity company, under an existing gas price formula. The Chergui field’s central production facility will initially handle approximately 20 million cf3 of gas per day, with a 57 km pipeline connecting the field to STEG facility at Ain Turkia.

“Production start-up from Chergui establishes yet another core area for Petrofac Energy Developments, and consolidates our relationship with ETAP,” said Amjad Bseisu, chief executive of Petrofac Energy Developments.

The total cost of the gas field development is estimated to be around US$100 million.

For all the latest energy and oil news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.