Abu Dhabi’s new $28.5 million beach will be divided into two separate areas following complaints from families about groups of single men congregating there, the municipality said on Monday.
The beach, which has only been open for a week, will be divided into an area for families and women and another for single males by the end of the week, UAE daily The National reported.
“Many families complained to us that they cannot use the beach peacefully and so we wanted to create an environment where they could use the beach,” Salem Al Maameri, the director of municipal services, said.
Details on how the 2km beach on the Corniche will be separated and the rules enforced are under discussion.
Before the announcement, there had been suggestion the beach would be closed off altogether to single men, the newspaper said.For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.