By Staff writer
National and Reserve Service Authority says applications will be taken from volunteers aged 30-40 from Sunday
The National and Reserve Service Authority of the UAE Armed Forces General Command said on Tuesday that it is to begin taking older volunteers aged between 30-40.
The authority said in a statement published by news agency WAM that recruitment centres will start receiving applications from male citizens on Sunday.
Applicant must fulfill medical fitness conditions and bring all required documents to the centre, the statement said.
The authority added that the training programme for volunteers will be 15 weeks, regardless of academic qualifications.
President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan issued a federal law in 2014 making it compulsory for all males between the ages of 18 and 30 and in good medical health to carry out compulsory military service.
Under the law, men who have a high school degree or its equivalent will serve nine months, while those who do not have a high school diploma will serve for two years.
Last week, the nine-month term was extended to a minimum of 12 months.
The UAE faces no immediate threats from neighbours and has been spared militant attacks that have targeted other countries like Saudi Arabia.
Like other Gulf Arab states, the US ally has strong military ties with Western powers that say they are committed to helping the OPEC member country deter or repel any threat.
But the UAE, a big buyer of Western military hardware, has a territorial dispute with its much bigger neighbour, Iran, over three Gulf islands controlled by the Islamic republic.
It is also wary of a neighbourhood fraught with conflicts, including in Syria and Iraq.